How do we maintain healthy levels of calcium and prevent calcium deficiency?
– Eat food that rich in calcium such as dairy milk, yogurt, cheeses, egg whites, canned salmon and sardines, trout and clams, soy milk, tofu, spinach, black-eyed peas, okra, acorn squash, bak choy, dried figs, apricots, almonds, sesame seeds, and tahini.
– Treat and prevent vitamin D deficiency by daily exposure to the sun, especially during midday for 10 to 30 mins, maintain healthy body weight with outdoor walk or jogging to get your daily exercise and sun exposure.
– Treat your medical condition that affects calcium metabolism.
– Use calcium supplements, especially with people how are at risk of calcium deficiency as pregnant and breastfeeding women.
– Talk to your doctor if you have a family history of osteoporosis.
– Avoid drinking coffee and tea after meals.