How to maintain potassium at a healthy level and prevent potassium deficiency?
- Eat food that is rich in potassium, for example fresh fruit and vegetables, including banana, raisins, apricots, figs, kiwi, mango, nectarine, papaya, peach, rhubarb, pistachios, pomegranate, tomato, prunes, orange, asparagus, artichoke, beet greens, collard greens, turnip greens, pumpkin, sweet potato, white mushroom, okra, green peppers, avocado, spinach, potato, milk, yogurt and buttermilk, white beans, lima beans, sunflower seeds, cocoa, molasses and clams.
- Treat medical conditions that affect potassium absorption and excretion.
- Use potassium supplements with people at a higher risk of potassium deficiency as in patients treated with dialysis and diabetics.
- Avoid alcohol consumption and try to drink fruit juices and alkaline water instead of alcohol as they are additional sources of potassium.
- Talk to your doctor if you have a family history of osteoporosis.